Position Title: Communications Intern or Communications Fellow
Reports to: Alicia Moulton, Deputy Director of Communications, and David Ellis, Sr. VP of Policy Strategy & Outreach
Position Status: Temporary, non-exempt
The EFI Foundation is a Washington-based registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to harnessing the power of technology and policy innovation to accelerate the clean energy transition. Led by principals with decades of experience and proven track records in government, academia, and the private sector, the EFI Foundation conducts objective, fact-based, and rigorous analysis supported by a multidisciplinary network of experts.
EFI offers internships to individuals who are pursuing a communications-related degree (energy/environment emphasis a plus) or fellowships to individuals who are pursuing or who have completed an advanced (post-undergraduate) degree. Please apply through our job application portal; no phone calls please.
- Communications Interns: EFI offers Internships to individuals who are pursuing or who have completed an undergraduate degree. Internships are typically for a semester, and interns are non-exempt employees that may be full time (40 hours/week) or part time. Interns also do communications and logistical work on an ad hoc basis, usually tasks directly related to research or work products. Interns also assist in office-wide administrative tasks. Internships are paid on an hourly basis at a base rate of $20/hr.
- Communications Fellows: EFI offers research Fellowships to individuals who are pursuing or have completed an advanced (post-undergraduate) degree. A Fellow may also have some project management responsibilities, including coordinating with external contractors and partners, and taking a lead on social media campaigns and outreach. Fellowships are offered for a fixed term (typically a semester or aligned with a specific project duration). Fellows are nonexempt employees and are paid on an hourly basis. Fellows may be full time (40 hours/ week) or part time. Fellowships are paid on an hourly basis at a base rate of $27/hr.
This is a hybrid position, with preference for candidates who are in or willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area. Our permanent hybrid work schedule involves at least three days in the office. Any remote worker must be able to join and participate in business meetings within the normal working hours of the Eastern Time Zone from 9:00 am-5:00 pm Eastern Time.
The communications team works on social media outreach, including providing illustrations and content for LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, the EFI website and newsletter. Setting up, preparing materials for, and supporting workshops and external events, such as webinars, are also key components of the position.
- Assisting with EFI’s social media and web presence, including updating the EFI website on a regular basis
- Writing blog posts and social media posts on EFI activity (speaking engagements, workshops, reports, and more), writing report landing pages, adding/updating employee bios, and more
- Creating graphic presentations of EFI content that can be shared on social media
- Creating and maintaining contacts lists for content distribution to other energy influencers, reporters, U.S. policy makers and their staffs.
- Tracking and disseminating media hits internally through weekly media clips, as well as externally on EFI’s website and social media
- Collating and analyzing social media (Twitter and LinkedIn) and marketing data—email penetration, open rates, and effective ways of furthering outreach.
- Contributing to EFI’s monthly newsletter.
- Assisting with pre- and on-site event logistics (may include photography, live tweeting/social media, registration, Zoom logistics, and more)
- Copy editing written materials with the possibility of helping to manage publication processes.
Eligibility & Skills
- Background in energy or communications preferred, candidates may be considered from other related departments
- Current undergraduate, post-graduate student, or recent graduate
- Familiarity with basic design programs (e.g., Canva)
- Experience with copy editing, AP Style, and publication processes preferred
- Familiarity with mailing programs (Constant Contact, MailChimp ) and Google Analytics preferred
- Ability to work accurately with complicated data sets to deliver on firm deadlines
- Understanding the value of social media in promoting policy
- U.S. citizenship or authorization to reside and work in the United States
- Proof of vaccination against COVID-19
Please apply using the Jazz HR link and include:
- Short letter of introduction (cover letter)
- Communications writing sample (on an energy topic is a plus but not required)
- Optional, but a plus: Graphic design examples or a portfolio of work
Statement on Diversity
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. EFI is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
EFI is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans are encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If you need assistance or an accommodation for this job application due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.