More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
The preferred location for this position is in Charlotte, North Carolina; however, the hiring manager will consider Raleigh headquarters, if needed. The exact location will be determined at the time of offer based on business needs.
The Litigation Counsel position is responsible for working with the other attorneys and staff in the Office of General Counsel in providing litigation-related support and counsel to the business operations of Duke Energy Corporation and its subsidiaries (collectively, the Company). The position will be based in Charlotte, NC.
This position is for a trial attorney who will be part of the Litigation Group and support the business operations of the Company. The incumbent will interface with key stakeholders and work under the direction of a senior member of the Litigation team.
- Litigate cases involving the company in North Carolina and South Carolina relating to personal injury or property damage, real estate, employment, and commercial issues.
- Manage and resolve legal matters and concerns arising out of the day-to-day functions of the company with limited supervision and guidance. Employee will work on non-routine matters requiring a broad and thorough understanding of the Company and its business environment.
- Provide legal advice to key business units and project teams of the Company, in conjunction with a senior member of the litigation team.
- Consult with an Associate General Counsel and/or a Deputy General Counsel on legal issues with significant value for the Company.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of litigation developments that may impact the Company.
- Comply with processes to protect the company from unnecessary risks and liabilities, including all reporting requirements.
- Remain current on legal trends, laws and regulations and proactively communicate information to other attorneys in the Legal Department.
- Provide or assist with providing legal training to business units within the Company.
- Frequently meet with and counsel individuals within the Company.
- In limited circumstances, work with outside counsel to maximize efficiency and appropriately frame litigation strategies.
- Promote a positive corporate image through involvement in Company and civic affairs, including pro bono work, and diversity, equity and inclusion events. .
- Lead and/or serve on committees, special projects, or other assignments as directed to further departmental goals.
- Periodic travel within the US will be required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence degree (JD) from an accredited law school
- In addition to Doctor of Jurisprudence degree, two (2) years minimum of related work experience
- Licensed to practice law in North Carolina
- Minimum of two (2) years of civil litigation experience, including courtroom and deposition experience
- Five (5) or more years of civil litigation experience desired
- First or second chair trial experience and comfort for appearing in Court unsupervised where necessary
- Licensed to practice law in South Carolina, ability to obtain a South Carolina license by reciprocity, or willingness to sit for the South Carolina Bar Exam.
- Licensed to practice law in Florida or willingness to sit for the Florida Bar Exam.
- Technical proficiency in multiple areas of the law
- Ability to draft and handle routine disputes and incidences without outside counsel support
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Deposition experience with both fact and expert witnesses
- Insurance-defense litigation experience
- Exceptional judgment, decision making and problem-solving abilities
- Organizational agility, process management, planning and presentation and team skills
- Ability to gain the confidence and respect of management and clients
- Ability to take direction and act accordingly with conviction, in a timely and high- quality manner
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities and desire to be part of a team
- Ability to function effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and to prioritize conflicting demands from multiple business clients
- Ability to analyze complex business situations and develop recommendations which meet the Company’s legal and business needs
- Willingness to learn and continuously develop skills and proficiencies in the practice of law
- Technologically proficient and independent
- Regulated utility industry experience preferred, but not mandatory
- Periodic travel within the US
- Office environment
- Hybrid mobility classification - work will be performed from both remote and onsite locations after the onboarding period. However, hybrid employees should live within a reasonable commute to a Duke Energy facility.
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)
Visa Sponsored Position
Posting Expiration Date
Monday, November 20, 2023
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA)