Responsible for complying with all federal, state, and local income & non-income taxes. Also responsible for directing the tax managers in all aspects of tax compliance, tax accounting, and internal and external audits ($1.5B+ tax payments; 12,000+ tax returns); directing the management and development of staff; oversight of outside consultants; and, providing support to the planning, legislative, and regulatory processes for the AEP System.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Direct, lead, and manage the managers in leading their respective teams in all aspects of income & non-income tax compliance, accounting, and audits.
- Direct and manage compliance with existing internal controls and Sarbanes Oxley requirements and ensure the control environment is working efficiently and effectively.
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplined tax management team on emerging issues and strategic initiatives.
- Direct the preparation of non-income & income tax forecasts, analysis, and schedules to support company planning and budgeting processes.
- Direct and coordinate non-income & income tax support related to regulatory efforts, tax incentives and abatements, and legislative matters with AEP Legal and Government Affairs.
- Develop and cultivate positive and productive business relationships between Tax and other AEP business partners.
- Foster employee development and professional growth through goal-setting, training, and cultural initiatives.
- Promote and lead initiatives to identify, develop, and implement process improvements that strengthen outputs and result in measurable efficiency gains.
- Direct and manage the oversight of outside consultants and contractors providing professional services and staff augmentation.
- Develop and lead a team that embraces accountability and a vision to develop innovative solutions to strengthen controls and enhance value, including aligning tax priorities with AEP’s strategic vision and administering the salary budget to link pay with performance.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field of study from an accredited college or university.
- Ten (10) years of business, finance, or accounting experience to include five (5) years tax experience and five (5) years of direct supervisory experience.
- Advanced degree, CPA, CMA or CIA certification preferred
- Exposure to and familiarity with the utility and energy industries
- Strong process facilitation, project management and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of SOX requirements and generally accepted accounting principles
- Ability to lead, develop and supervise others
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and tax related technologies
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing circumstances and requirements
- Continuous improvement mindset and these competencies: Adaptability, Flexibility, Creativity and Initiative
Hear about it first! Get job alerts by email. Log in to your Candidate Home Account today! If you don't have an account, you can create one.
It is hereby reaffirmed that it is the policy of American Electric Power (AEP) to provide Equal Employment Opportunity in all aspects of the employer‐employee relationship including recruiting, hiring, upgrading and promotion, conditions and privileges of employment, company sponsored training programs, educational assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, layoffs and termination of employment to all employees and applicants without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. When required by law, we must record certain information to be made part of an Affirmative Action Plan. Applicants for employment may also be invited to participate in the Affirmative Action Program by self-identifying their Race or Ethnic Identity.