More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
The Coal Combustion Products (CCP) organization manages the fleet-wide practices, processes, and facilities associated with CCP and water impoundments, including cooling lakes. To be successful, the fleet requires certain technical expertise for the specification, design, and maintenance of these facilities and systems. These systems include impoundments, dams and dikes, dry storage and landfills, conveyances, and components. The Engineering organization within CCP is tasked with being knowledgeable and qualified to perform these specialized tasks. In addition, this organization is responsible for setting and implementing a consistent set of standards for the facilities and systems operated throughout the fleet and to function as the geotechnical technical authority.
As part of the Coal Combustion Products (CCP) team, key duties for this position include:
- Coordinating the CCTV inspection of pipes associated with the discharge structures of ash pond dams and cooling pond dams; and assisting in writing reports to summarize the findings of these inspections
- Assisting in the analysis of inundation studies, using HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS or HydroCAD. Assisting in writing reports and using ArcGIS to develop maps that show the inundation areas and the affected structures (houses, buildings, etc.).
- Participating in field inspections of ash pond dams, cooling pond dams and landfills; and assisting in writing reports to summarize the findings of these inspections
- Assisting in slope stability analysis using Slope/W
- Performing AutoCAD work
- Assisting in performing Geospatial Information System (GIS) tasks, such as editing GIS data and designing digital maps
- Assisting in the preparation of technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to well-defined problems and analysis of moderate scope and complexity
- Supporting the company’s goals and representing the company positively and professionally
- Working effectively with others from diverse backgrounds to solve problems and implement solutions
- Supporting the overall CCP Department objective to drive incidents to zero
- Participating in related meetings
- Communicating clearly and effectively
- Bachelor of Science degree or master's degree in civil engineering from an ABET Accredited College or University
- Capable of learning quickly, working independently and in a team environment.
- Understanding the basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of software and engineering applications
- Time management skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be detailed oriented
- A cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Passing grade on the Engineering Fundamentals Exam
- Knowledge of earthen dams and landfills
- Knowledge of geotechnical engineering theories and principles
- Knowledge of slope stability analysis
- Knowledge of Pipeline Assessment Certification Program (PACP)
- Knowledge of Erosion & Sediment Control principles and practices
- Knowledge of GIS software
Specific Requirements: Required to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, appropriate clothing, ear plugs, fall protection, personal floatation device, etc.) as needed.
- Office and plant environment - requires walking, light lifting, infrequent climbing, and occasional exposure to temperature and noise
- Occasional visits to coal-fired power plants in NC, SC, IN, KY & FL
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)
Visa Sponsored Position
Posting Expiration Date
Thursday, November 23, 2023
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA)