More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives.
Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the Duke Energy team, where you'll find a friendly work environment, opportunities for growth and development, recognition for your work, and competitive pay and benefits.
The Engineering Design Assistant will provide work management system, Design Tool data entry and general support to Designers as part of engineering and construction planning process. Candidates are expected to have strong computer systems knowledge and have the ability to work with independence in the E&CP tools.
This position does not progress into the engineering technologist hierarchy.
This position is accountable for providing accurate and timely work results which support safety, reliability, storm restoration, and cost management while providing quality customer service.
Perform Design Tool entry, work management system and general support to Designers and management of system queues.
- Enters projects as requested into the work management system using Designer field notes, templates, and/or Expert Designer or other methods.
- Applies standard designs to lower complexity corrective maintenance work, follow-up work, and/or other routine program work.
- Assists the Designers with general work order preparations, particularly for overhead and underground revenue work, major projects and other maintenance / program work.
- Copies/translate sketches/notes from Designers into appropriate format for attached construction prints on work orders in the work management system (eg. Residential, small commercial and lighting).
- Also completes work orders that do not require a field visit or guidance from a Designer. (eg temp services)
- Verifies/completes the dependencies in the work management system prior to releasing job(s).
- Assists Designer with updating work management system for status, project comments, or customer comments and contact information.
Communicates and coordinates with internal/external customers.
- Performs customer call as requested for various work management system tasks and coordinates with responsible parties regarding right-of-way, site ready, schedule, re-schedules, CIAC, invoices, site delivery.
- Compiles, reviews, and prints reports from work management system as needed
- Contacts customers to confirm project details and schedules (depending on Enable)
- Assists in managing communications for Designers such as creation/scheduling of customer outages and letters, manually generated invoices (CIAC), and other general communications with customers as necessary.
- Communicate, coordinate, and develop solutions for a broad range of requests between Designers and Schedulers, C&M Specialists, and others as needed (Ex. Phone number lookup to in-depth work management/design tool changes).
- Reports job status details to Designers, C&M Specialist, and/or contract construction crews as needed.
Handles customer information system inquiries and centralized group requests.
- To and from requests from centralized subdivision design
- Supports designer with obtaining information out of customer information systems
Engagement/Safety and other
- Prepares for and provides storm support as needed
- Supports Human Performance safety culture through active participation in safety meetings
- Follows ergonomics and office safety guidelines
- Supports corporate initiatives
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous learning and development
- Associate Degree
- In lieu of the Associate Degree above, a High School /GED with 2 years related experience will be considered.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience preferably in Electric Utility
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrates excellent customer skills
- Possesses effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Exhibits flexibility and dependability during storm events and regular work
- Effectively manages stressful situations
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer based work management systems
Knowledgeable of E&CP processes, work management system, and related computer applications
Experience using computer based drawing tools
- Hybrid Mobility Classification – Work will be performed from both remote and onsite locations after the onboarding period. However, hybrid employees should live within a reasonable daily commute to a Duke Energy facility.
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)
Visa Sponsored Position
Posting Expiration Date
Wednesday, December 6, 2023
All job postings expire at 12:01 AM on the posting expiration date.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, you must possess all of the basic/required qualifications.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information (CA)