Under general supervision, perform work pertaining to disconnecting, reconnecting, removing and installing single-phase and three-phase kilowatt-hour and demand meters not to exceed 260 volts and associated Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) equipment; read meters; investigate irregular readings, non-responding AMI components, energy diversion, tamper alerts, and inactive usage; contact customers, and perform single-phase meter test; to assist with meter inventory - inspect, maintain, service, pack and transport measurement equipment and other equipment as assigned, and perform associated duties.
Must also provide assistance to first responders and Meter Electricians as required. Employee may perform miscellaneous, related and incidental work in addition to regular duties including overtime and call-out rotations as requested.
Essential Job Functions:
- Disconnect and reconnect electrical service to customer, as directed, by removal or installation of self-contained single and three-phase kilowatt-hour meters or combination demand meters not to exceed 260 volts, for service orders, disconnects non-payment, inactive usage, or as otherwise directed.
- Remove, install, or change self-contained single and three-phase kilowatt-hour or demand meters when the meter is broken, stopped, or operating improperly. Bypass meters and/or associated equipment, when necessary.
- Respond to service calls (including call-out rotations) on installations not to exceed 260 volts, single or three-phase and associated AMI equipment as assigned.
- Report irregularities and abnormal conditions and conduct the investigation of energy diversion and tamper alerts.
- Receive, inspect, test, adjust, clean, repair and program single-phase meters, take inventory of meter stock and resolve discrepancies as assigned.
- Develop a working knowledge of single-phase self-contained metering and metering practices. Read billing and non-billing meters, as may be assigned.
- Operate communication equipment, including entering data via the appropriate work management system.
- Assist in storm restoration activities as requested.
- Perform similar or less skilled work as assigned.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver's license.
- One year experience in meter reading or other related experience preferred.
- Acceptable written and verbal communications skills.
- Basic Understanding of Electricity.
- Must be available by telephone or by Company-provided pager or cell phone.
- Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) selection test is required for this position.
- Must have safe work habits and adhere to all safety rules and practices of the Company.
- Must be able to treat the Company’s and customers’ business as confidential.
- Must successfully complete all job demonstrations, examinations or other training required within such time frame as determined by the Company.
- Must be willing to work overtime as required by job responsibilities.
Hear about it first! Get job alerts by email. Log in to your Candidate Home Account today! If you don't have an account, you can create one.
It is hereby reaffirmed that it is the policy of American Electric Power (AEP) to provide Equal Employment Opportunity in all aspects of the employer‐employee relationship including recruiting, hiring, upgrading and promotion, conditions and privileges of employment, company sponsored training programs, educational assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, layoffs and termination of employment to all employees and applicants without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. When required by law, we must record certain information to be made part of an Affirmative Action Plan. Applicants for employment may also be invited to participate in the Affirmative Action Program by self-identifying their Race or Ethnic Identity.