Zap Energy is a growing startup in the competitive fusion energy space. Our technology needs are diverse, complex, and unique in many ways. Zap is seeking an IT leader to plan and implement projects as well as maintain and support systems for our engineering, scientific, technical, and corporate functions.
As the Senior Manager of IT, you will work closely across functional areas to ensure that Zap Energy is using the most up-to-date and fit-for-purpose technology to run our business. We are seeking a leader who will be responsible for ensuring that the hardware and software used by Zap Energy is compatible, secure, and scalable. You will also be responsible for managing our internal network, research applications, engineering applications, and high-performance computing assets. You will lead other IT team members and provide our employees with training, responsive support, and change management.
- Manage conception and execution of all IT projects, from project scoping, budgeting, and scheduling through to planning tasks, timeline, resourcing, risk mitigation, communication and training plans, and maintenance.
- Plan and manage the upgrades and maintenance of IT systems, networks, and services for essential business functions (e.g. major research functions, engineering services or office capabilities).
- Analyze resource utilization, efficiency, and develop strategies to optimize performance and meet user requirements
- Establish, measure, and define IT goals, maintain an IT roadmap, and prepare IT budget plan, and forecast.
- Monitor and analyze the success of IT initiatives and projects and continually develop and evaluate new technologies and tools for the company.
- Develop and implement company policies related to security, disaster recovery, and IT infrastructure.
- Provide professional and timely feedback through effective channels (semi-annual IT meetings, work groups, technology councils, etc) to identify new business opportunities for information technology applications and investments.
- Direct or support the activities of the help desk to ensure the IT needs of users are met and manage the creation and maintenance of technical documentation/ knowledge bases
- Recruit, train, motivate, and develop staff to deploy services and maintain a high standard of customer service.
Job Qualifications and Skill Sets
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, computer science, or a related field
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in IT and 3+ in management
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills; ability to motivate people and manage resources effectively and work with business partners to achieve goals on aggressive timelines.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of industry-standard computer hardware and software systems and ERP integrations
- Experience with network administration (certification a plus)
- Experience managing on-premises servers, storage area networks (SAN), and network-attached storage (NAS) devices
- Exposure to high-performance computing to support research processes or similar processes of high-volume analysis, computation, and simulations
- Familiarity with engineering and modeling software beyond standard office applications
- Outstanding organizational, time management, presentation and customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly in a fast-moving and dynamic team environment
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive total rewards package
- Company retirement matching contributions
- Premium medical / dental / vision / life / disability insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Paid family leave and wellness benefits
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Zap Energy is building a low-cost, compact and scalable fusion energy platform that conﬁnes and compresses plasma without the need for expensive and complex magnetic coils. Zap’s sheared-flow-stabilized Z-pinch technology offers the shortest potential path to commercially viable fusion and requires orders of magnitude less capital than traditional approaches. Zap Energy has over 60 employees in two facilities near Seattle and is backed by leading ﬁnancial and strategic investors.
Zap Energy is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations