Job Posting Start Date: February 8, 2024
Job Posting End Date: February 25, 2024
Are you looking for a meaningful career that makes a difference in your community? Would you enjoy an opportunity to contribute to our innovation and growth by bringing personal perspectives and experiences to your everyday work?
Working at Bruce Power, you can enjoy the benefits of small-town living with outdoor adventures and a rewarding career. As part of our progressive, diverse, and inclusive workplace, you will work in a Safety-First environment, supporting challenging and impactful nuclear projects like our Life Extension Program and medical isotope production. Ongoing training and development are part of every job, offering constant growth and skill-building potential.
In support of achieving excellence and business results through safe, reliable operations, our Information Technology division is currently hiring for a Manager, Architecture and Technology Planning.
The successful candidate will provide leadership to the Enterprise Architecture, Solution Architecture, Business Analysis and Quality Assurance disciplines and practitioners within IT. This role will establish and maintain IT architecture, business analysis and quality assurance standards, patterns, frameworks and processes on behalf of Bruce Power.
As a member of the IT Leadership Team, the successful candidate will also contribute to the development and execution of the IT Strategy, champion Continuous Improvement and Modernization initiatives to drive quality and performance improvements and ensure that Information Technology is leveraged safely and effectively to strengthen Bruce Power’s business outcomes.
For the right candidate this is an ideal opportunity to develop technical leadership skills, influence business outcomes, build relationships throughout the company, and make an important contribution to the success of Information Technology at Bruce Power.
This is a permanent, full-time position which offers a competitive benefits, compensation and pension package and is located on site in Tiverton, Ontario.
What will you be responsible for?
Reporting to the Director, Strategy, Performance and Project Delivery, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and on-going management of Bruce Power’s enterprise technology strategy and our overall IT architectural framework.
Your ability to influence and translate Bruce Power’s business strategy and key outcomes into executable integrated delivery roadmaps will determine your success in this role. You and your team will also establish and maintain the principles, standards, patterns, blueprints and reference architectures that govern, direct and bound the use of Information Technology at Bruce Power.
Finally, you and your team will evaluate emerging technologies and vendor partners to identify opportunities to improve performance and/or reduce operating and information technology risk.
- Establish architectural principles, a governance framework and IT standards, patterns, blueprints and reference architectures to guide technology decisions for Bruce Power (note these artifacts are used by Bruce Power IT as well as a number of System Teams that exist in our lines of business and our many vendor partners).
- Analyze, provide input to and understand Bruce Power’s business strategy and business drivers across our domains to validate business information, business capability and information system requirements. Develop information systems target states and delivery roadmaps to support current and emerging requirements inclusive of infrastructure, application, data, integration and security considerations.
- Create and maintain a consolidated enterprise-level view of Bruce Power’s business applications, their structure, integrations and relationships to business capabilities. Identify and recommend simplification, modernization and consolidation opportunities.
- Periodically assess and report on the health of Bruce Power’s IT landscape. Highlight areas of information system risk and opportunity based on performance, security and relative importance to Bruce Power’s business outcomes.
- Conduct research on current and emerging technology trends to determine how these may positively or negatively disrupt desired business outcomes and provide appropriate briefings and recommended response plans to leaders across IT and our business domains.
- Lead the selection and retirement processes of enterprise solutions through the analysis of requirements, solution capabilities, integrations and other strategic and commercial considerations.
- Promote the use of shared infrastructure and applications to reduce cost and complexity, improve information flow and drive enterprise-wide thinking and common practices within and across IT and business domains.
- Assess and report on architectural compliance and health across Bruce Power and our vendor partners and create risk mitigation plans when necessary to address gaps.
- Manage and provide leadership to a team of IT Architects.
- Supplier Management of services including Business Analysis and Quality Assurance ensuring contractual commitments are met or exceeded while proactively managing cost, schedule and value.
- Understand and ensure Bruce Power remains in compliance with IT Security, IT Architecture and other IT requirements as mandated by our operating license and our regulators.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Able to think strategically and pragmatically, capable of both developing and executing short- and long-term action plans that balance strategic enterprise views with tangible, business driven solutions
- Possesses a high degree of business acumen and the ability to translate business needs and requirements into practical outcomes
- Strong facilitation, negotiation and conflict-resolution skills
- Ability to understand and communicate successfully with individual team members, middle managers and senior executives across IT and business teams in both abstract and concrete concepts
- Ability to think beyond the traditional IT environment and make decisions in the context of Bruce Power’s corporate environment and desired business outcomes
- Strong leadership skills and a proven ability to manage and mentor staff
- Track record of collaboration and consensus building
Education and Experience
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through a 4-year Bachelors Degree in a related field like Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or equivalent
- A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience including 5 years in a Senior IT Architecture role and with a demonstrated delivery of architectural frameworks, roadmaps, strategies and projects
- 3+ years of experience in a leadership role, managing and mentoring staff
- Proven experience in the architecture, design and implementation of large, diverse systems and complex enterprise-wide projects spanning multiple architecture domains
- Experience with data modeling, business modeling, process modeling, system modeling, requirements gathering and analysis and systems design
- Experience with modern stacks including cloud, microservices, containers, etc.
- Experience with SAFe or other agile and iterative delivery approaches
- Experience and/or training related to Architecture & Service Delivery Frameworks (TOGAF, Zachman, FEA, eTOM, ITIL, CoBiT, etc.)
Are you ready for a change?
Please complete the online application and attach a cover letter and resume, indicating your education and experience as it relates to this opportunity. We look forward to receiving your application and will be in contact with you, should you be selected for an interview.
The successful candidate will be selected based on related and required education, experience, knowledge and skills, a competency-based interview, and background reference checks.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Bruce Power is committed to promoting a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion where workers feel valued for their uniqueness and are recognized for their individual differences, talents and skills. Diversity, equity and inclusion is critical to our business as we recognize that our people are our greatest resource. To support our inclusive workplace culture, we welcome and encourage everyone to apply.