Holtec International and its subsidiary companies are designing an unconditionally safe and secure source of clean energy, the SMR-160+ small modular reactor. The Position is offered by Holtec Britain as a member of the Holtec International family, a global turnkey supplier of equipment and systems for nuclear, solar, geothermal, and fossil power generation sectors of the energy industry. The Engineer is responsible for the design of mechanical and structural components that form part of SMR‐160+ plant. The Engineer will be part of the multidisciplinary team whose combined research, creative, and technical expertise add value throughout a collaborative product development process. The Engineer will work alongside engineers, designers, and analysts in a dynamic development environment. The Engineer participates in the daily activities of the Mechanical Engineering team, creating feasible/practical solutions to challenging design problems. The Engineer is hands-on in the mechanical design of innovative components by delivering on mechanical conceptualization, requirements development, detailed development, engineering analysis and technical documentation. The Mechanical Engineer will build strong relationships with US SMR team members.
Experience Should Include:
- Producing and checking of code compliant calculations
- Authoring and checking technical documents.
- Authoring or overseeing CAD designs and drawings.
- Specific Areas of Responsibility:
- Execute mechanical design activities: CAD, design for manufacturability, engineering analyses, and technical documentation.
- Develop concept designs based on limited requirements or functions and develop mature requirements by gaining understanding of the system, structure or components.
- Review available concept designs based on an ambiguous set of requirements and develop them into mature designs by critical thinking, literature research, interacting with team members from other disciplines and suppliers, and any analysis as permitted by project milestones.
- Develop technical documentation, obtain supplier inputs, and perform verification design concepts.
- Support the preparation of design deliverables, presentations, and communicate design progress in stakeholder meetings.
- Support development of engineering and safety case requirements and documentation for nuclear systems and components.
- Applicants should be prepared to play an active role in a project-driven and highly integrated engineering team.
- Degree qualified in mechanical engineering or related discipline.
- Experience in requirements capture, including functional, non-functional, stakeholder and regulatory requirements.
- Experience in generating design solutions through formal optioneering processes or similar.
- Experience in carrying out mechanical engineering substantiation for new designs.
- Experience in writing accurate, detailed, and concise technical reports (e.g., design calculations, basis of analysis, safety case reports).
- Ability to work independently and balance competing priorities.
- interpersonal Strong skills. Able to engage credibly within and external to the business.
- Eligible to work under 10 CFR Part 810.
- Experience in design / fabrication of products such as heat exchangers, piping valves and pumps, and ASME components.
- Industry experience in using FEA simulation to support product development.
- Experience working with engineers and fabricators to develop designs and drawings.
- Experience with using SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and SmartPlant software suites.
- Experience in commercial nuclear or naval nuclear design.
Holtec International are partnered with Thomas Thor for recruitment purposes, you may be contacted directly by Thomas Thor as part of your application process.
By engaging with Holtec and sharing your information with our recruitment partner, you acknowledge that you have read and understood these privacy statements and agree to the terms. Your privacy is important to us, and we are committed to ensuring the confidentiality and security of your data.