Job SummaryManage one or more intermediate or complex projects, within a matrix team environment. Provide leadership, direction, training, coordination, and effective communication to initiate, plan, execute, monitor and control, and close projects in a safe, efficient, economical, risk-balanced approach to achieve short and long range goals and to obtain maximum customer satisfaction. Provide project transparency and develop relationships and effectively communicate with all stakeholders including internal customers, external customers, team members, suppliers, contractors, vendors, and industry peers, enabling them to make sound business decisions. Enable and promote team level continuous improvement activities that increase quality and optimize delivery of value. Perform supervisory duties and responsibilities if direct reports are assigned.
ORGANIZATION: Major Projects (Power Generation)
Based on education, experience and interview evaluation, this opportunity will be filled commensurately at either title:
Project Manager Principal (grade 9) = bachelor's degree + 7 years of experience; OR, associate's degree + 9 years of experience. PMP certification is required.
Project Manager Sr. (grade 8) = bachelor's degree + 5 years of experience; OR, associate's degree + 7 years of experience
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Plan, organize, direct, coordinate and supervise assigned project activities becoming proficient in all aspects. Utilize various project management principles and techniques and successfully implement these techniques in project management for the organization.
Support and hold employees and contractors accountable for the AEP System Safety Process, ensuring a safe working environment focused on Zero Harm.
Manage, develop, review and coordinate the project/outage plan, schedule, and budget becoming proficient in all aspects. Manage cost and timely reallocation of funding.Communicate project details and status updates.
Lead planning meetings and project updates including typical stakeholder presentations.
Provide clear and concise written and oral reports and other communications.Develop and actively manage working relationships with the project team, plant and OpCo staff, internal and external customers or partners, contractors, vendors, and suppliers.
Foster teamwork and actively pursue customer satisfaction.Provide specific guidance, instruction, and training to improve design, systems, procedures, processes, schedules, and costs. Confidently challenge others at a level of informed understanding in all project work.
Ensure maximum customer satisfaction and demonstrate effective and efficient performance of project work activities on intermediate project level at a minimum.
Mentor other project managers. Direct and supervise sub-team project managers as assigned.
Develop and manage procurement plans for necessary outside resources.
Manage contracts for outside services, including developing requests for proposals, evaluating competitive bids, selecting vendors, participating in contract negotiations, overseeing vendor performance/quality, ensuring work is performed in accordance with the contract, etc.
Conduct and supervise closeout processes, including an analysis of the success of the project with respect to accomplishing the project objectives and realizing project benefits.Develop an understanding of the AEP project management organizational standards and assist in the management of projects to those standards.
Adhere to the guidance and standards put forth by the AEP Project Management Governance Committee.
Manage programs as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business, Project Management, Computer Science, or related field of study with five (5) years qualified experience; OR,
Two-year Associate’s degree in the same required disciplines with seven (7) years of qualified experience (see below).
For nuclear facilities only: Educational requirement for advancement can be fulfilled by qualified experience in the Navy Nuclear Program in addition to the maximum years of experience as noted.
Two (2) years of experience as a PROJECT MANAGER (Grade 7) OR demonstrated competencies, knowledge and skillset through achieved results in a shorter time line.
Qualified experience includes work in project management, major construction field experience, project estimating, controls, engineering, and/or comparable internal or external experience in a competitive production environment.
Experience must exhibit progressively increasing project management and business acumen and responsibility for most of the certifying body knowledge areas.
Demonstrated preparedness for journey level PM knowledge capability in areas of construction safety, negotiations, scope development and control, cost estimating, construction contracting, project controls and reporting, quality control, risk management, etc. Experience in utilities, commercial nuclear power, and/or IT systems is favorable.
License/Certifications: PMP certification is preferred but not required. Certification is required for advancement to the Project Manager Principal level (grade 009) or above of this job family. Valid state driver’s license is required.
1. Provide effective leadership, team building and meeting management skills as outlined by the certifying body and the AEP leadership competencies and values. Develop a high level of confidence in the ability, and demonstrate the motivation and attitude, to lead a team and a project to successful conclusion.
2. Lead with effective and compelling communication, including the use of effective listening, with all stakeholders.
3. Apply economic analysis techniques and an acumen for the business and profession in project decision making and ensure alignment of project and company financial goals.
4. Influence the engineering and design, Procurement, Contracting, Estimating, and Construction procedures and processes to optimize project execution. Ensure the project team utilizes the latest business unit guidelines and requirements. Identify opportunities for business process improvement within project scope.
5. Apply working knowledge of the certifying body Project Management tools and techniques.
6. Provide strategic thinking, planning, risk assessment and prioritization of project activities. Globally view the project from all angles such as safety, constructability, sequence, changing conditions, contingencies, contractual, predictability, level of priority, sense of direction and sense of productivity to quickly identify/avoid/mitigate project risks. Demonstrate sound decision making practices.
7. Provide organization of project activities, delegate project task assignments, confidently set team requirements and expectations to manage deliverables and hold team members accountable. Provide constructive feedback to team members.
8. Effectively prioritize and manage conflict to provide solutions to issues that maximize synergies with an overriding goal to do the “right thing” for the company. Take timely independent action and know when to elevate an issue.
9. Proficient in scope management, evolution of technical options, and project risk factors and mitigation methods.
10. Proficient in contract development and management with acceptable allocation of risks within the terms of the contract.
11. Promote continuous improvement and maintain a strong questioning attitude. Ask intrusive questions and challenge assumptions. Seek input from Subject Matter Experts by asking questions for understanding and compare with one’s own knowledge base.
12. Lead the evaluation and determination of the skill sets and capabilities of team members, and then make recommendations to ensure project success.
13. Safely and effectively Perform light physical duties. Duties can involve construction site walkdown on unstable surfaces, climbing ladders, and awareness of hazardous site conditions.
14. Perform work at various AEP locations in varying conditions. Work sites will include home, office, power plants (including nuclear), and construction sites. Work performed at nuclear power sites may involve work in hazardous areas and possible radiation exposure within the limits prescribed by the NRC.
15. Travel typically 25% or less however greater travel may be required in support of specific assignments.
16. Act with integrity by demonstrating accountability for project assignments.
17. Understand and support the policies, values, principles, structure and behavior of AEP.
INITIAL POSITION / BASE SALARY FUNDING: ($94,225 - $143-852). In addition to base salary, AEP offers competitive Total Rewards including: discretionary annual incentive, 401(k), fully-funded pension, health insurance, vacation, etc.
Hear about it first! Get job alerts by email. Log in to your Candidate Home Account today! If you don't have an account, you can create one.It is hereby reaffirmed that it is the policy of American Electric Power (AEP) to provide Equal Employment Opportunity in all aspects of the employer‐employee relationship including recruiting, hiring, upgrading and promotion, conditions and privileges of employment, company sponsored training programs, educational assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, layoffs and termination of employment to all employees and applicants without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. When required by law, we must record certain information to be made part of an Affirmative Action Plan. Applicants for employment may also be invited to participate in the Affirmative Action Program by self-identifying their Race or Ethnic Identity.