Zap Energy is currently looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer to design, test, operate, and troubleshoot low voltage and high voltage electrical circuits and components. This position will work with other Zap Energy scientific, engineering, and technical staff on the design, assembly, fielding, and operations of the next-generation Zap Energy SFS Z-pinch experiment and associated pulsed power systems and diagnostic electronics. The ideal candidate is an organized, inventive problem solver, capable of working through technical challenges and employing sound, pragmatic solutions through team efforts. Position level will depend on experience. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
- Contribute to pulsed power system designs by concept development, circuit simulation, finite element electromagnetic analysis, and prototyping.
- Setup and debug microsecond-scale pulsed power diagnostics (e.g. Rogowski coils, high-voltage probes to obtain high-quality data)
- Responsibly and safely operate experimental megajoule-class capacitor banks
- Design and fabricate basic interface and control circuits for pulsed power systems, including voltage monitors, current sensors, and trigger generators.
- Development of requirements documents and derived requirements to guide design and implementation of electrical systems to meet overall project needs
- Supervision of small teams of technicians to assemble megajoule-class pulsed power systems
- Writing work instructions, test plans, PowerPoint presentations, and reports
- Provide general experimental electronics support for design, assembly, fielding, and operations of Zap Energy research experiments
- Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s in Electrical Engineering, or comparable experience.
- Years of experience: 5-7 years
- Working knowledge of a variety of low and high-power switching technologies, analog and digital circuit design, prototype, and debug
- Experience with capacitor based pulsed power systems
- Circuit simulation proficiency, e.g., LTSpice, Ansys Simplorer
- Demonstrated ability to complete assigned projects in an organized and timely manner
- Ability to work effectively with technical staff as part of a small, highly-skilled team reporting to Head of Pulsed Power R&D
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment with shifting requirements in response to research results
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Familiarity in design, procurement, assembly, fielding, operations, and analysis of fusion plasma physics experiment or high-power pulsed experiments
- Experience with semiconductor-based (e.g., thyristor/SCR, IGBTs, SiC MOSFET, etc.) switch technologies, knowledge of tube-based (e.g., ignitron) switches
- EM and mechanical simulation tool proficiency, e.g., Maxwell 3D, Ansys Mechanical
- Data analysis including reduction, interpretation, and error analysis
- Printed circuit board design tool proficiency, e.g., Altium Designer
- Practical skills such as soldering, mechanical assembly, or machining
Benefits of joining Zap Energy - While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
The estimated annual salary range for this position is $110K-160K. Candidates may be considered for other positions at Zap Energy and the actual salary will be based on relevant education, experience, and other qualifications. The range is published in accordance with the Washington Equal Pay and Opportunity Act.
Zap Energy is building a low-cost, compact, and scalable fusion energy platform that conﬁnes and compresses plasma without the need for expensive and complex magnetic coils. Zap’s sheared-flow-stabilized Z-pinch technology provides compelling fusion economics and requires orders of magnitude less capital than conventional approaches. Zap Energy has approximately 150 team members in multiple facilities near Seattle and is backed by leading ﬁnancial and strategic investors.
Zap Energy Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.
Questions on this position can be sent to email@example.com.