Talen Energy is soliciting candidates interested in filling the position of Reactor Engineer at the Susquehanna Steam Electric Station located near Berwick, Pennsylvania. This role is open to recent college graduates with a degree in Nuclear, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering from a college or university accredited by ABET or recognized by ABET as substantially equivalent!
Susquehanna Steam Electric Station, one of the largest dual-unit, Boiling Water Reactor sites in the U.S., delivers approximately 2700 MW of electricity to the grid in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Susquehanna Nuclear is a member in good standing with the Utilities Service Alliance. Located less than 30 miles south of Wilkes-Barre at the western edge of the picturesque Pocono Mountains vacation region, we are conveniently located near the arteries which connect all the major East Coast cities.
Susquehanna Station represents the nuclear portion of Talen Energy, one of the largest competitive energy and power generation companies in North America. Talen Energy offers its employees a generous and progressive array of compensation, benefits and growth opportunities. Apply today and become part of the team which is helping to shape the future of electricity generation
Reactor Engineering is responsible for all on-site nuclear fuel management including the maintenance, administration and implementation of the site's reactivity management program. This includes the planning, preparation and modeling of plant power maneuvers, ensuring that fuel thermal limits and preconditioning requirements are maintained in accordance with the plant's Technical Specifications and vendor recommendations. The position includes shiftwork during refueling outages, unit de-rates, power maneuvers and startups.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Work with limited direction on tasks related to Reactor Engineering, including but not limited to providing technical guidance and recommendations to Operations regarding reactivity changes and power maneuvers
2. Responsible for preparation of power maneuvering schedules based on fuel performance, Technical Specification thermal limit margins and fuel vendor preconditioning guidelines
3. Responsible for operation of the Traversing In-core Probe system for the calibration of in-core neutron detectors
4. Responsible for the coordination and technical support of new fuel receipt and inspection activities
5. Responsible for planning core refueling activities, including fuel, neutron instrumentation and control blade replacements
6. Ensure NRC requirements for the receipt, transfer, inventory and reporting associated with Special Nuclear Materials are met
7. Perform startup physics testing
8. Administration and operation of the Powerplex core monitoring system
9. Review future fuel and core design changes for plant operational impacts and safety
10. Serve as subject matter experts in the field of reactivity management, fuel and core operation
11. Apply sound engineering principles to provide technically correct, timely and cost-effective recommendations
12. Perform duties of the Core Thermal Hydraulics Engineer during station emergencies
13. Interface effectively with other groups, both internal and external to Talen Energy's Susquehanna Nuclear, LLC facility. Work effectively in a team environment, both as a team leader and as a team member
14. Understand and practice Company safety and industrial hygiene policies. Incumbents must be aware of safety rules and environmental hazards and take appropriate action to ensure safety of personnel, the public, and the environment
15. Continually expand and improve technical and business skills set under own initiative with instruction, guidance and direction from others
16. Must obtain and maintain SSES plant security clearance
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications to receive consideration.
Requirements for Support Engineer level:
Requirements for Senior Engineer level:
Requirements for Principal Engineer Level
Note: You will have an opportunity to add attachments to your application. Please use this opportunity to upload your resume, cover letter, and any relevant documents .
This job is closed.