Responsible for developing strategies for practical application of compliance standards, and supporting business partners within Generation to sustain NERC reliability standards compliance. The successful candidate will be expected to develop specialized expertise in Generation compliance application areas, and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders representing various functions (Generation Operations, Transmission, Information Technology, Security, Renewable Resource Development and Operation, Fossil & Hydro Generation, ENRA) to interpret, develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that align Generation operations with obligations in a manner to sufficiently demonstrate compliance with documentation and evidence. Familiarity with the Generator electric protection and NERC Compliance is a plus.
Essential Job Functions:
- Interpret a newly approved or revised North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) reliability standards, work with SME to develop and implement the compliance strategies. Oversees the implementation of compliance strategies and ensure all NERC standard requirements obligations are met.
- Facilitate and coordinate work activity of others within Generation (including Subject Matter Experts and Local Plant Staff) to perform tasks and requirements to implement and sustain compliance with NERC reliability standards.
- Maintain systems of record to track and monitor compliance data and evidence for all applicable generation assets.
- Collaborate with other internal business functions (Transmission, Commercial Operations, IT, Security, and ENRA) to advocate for AEP’s positions in the NERC standards development and review processes.
- Develop cost/benefit options within associated project plans to sufficiently plan, manage, communicate, implement, and monitor new/revised processes to adapt to newly approved NERC standards for all applicable generation assets.
- Act as the NERC lead on the Generation Major Capital Project, such as a renewable project. Provide the inputs to Project Manager during the RFP phase to ensure all applicable NERC Standards are included in the project scope. Review and monitor all necessary NERC obligations during the project execution phase. Work with developer or Engineering of Record (EOR) to collect all NERC evidences for the project and archive those evidences for the future audit. Setup the sustain NERC compliance program for newly acquired or developed generating asset.
- Conduct a NERC incident investigation, then develop a root cause analysis. Based the root cause analysis to develop an incident mitigation plan to prevent the future reoccurrence of this incident. Execute the mitigation plan. After completion of all mitigation milestones. Then package the evidence of completed milestones evidences and submit to NERC Region.
- Assist the Manager, Generation NERC Compliance in the coordination between Generation, other business unit personnel and operating company personnel to ensure that reliability standards strategy, interface with regulatory bodies, and responses to reliability compliance inquiries are aligned and consistent with AEP policy and strategy.
- Develop, implement, and maintain new processes and procedures to continuously improve the efficiency and accuracy of the Generation NERC compliance program.
- Participate in external surveys, data requests, self-certifications, and audits associated with compliance monitoring and enforcement (CMEP) activities to assess compliance with the NERC reliability standards.
- Other duties, as assigned, to support the Generation NERC Compliance program.
Bachelor’s degree in applicable technical field OR Associate’s degree with two (2) years of relevant work experience.
In addition to any experience required above, six - eight (6-8) years of direct experience and journey level knowledge of the specialized programs/ systems/ equipment is typically required for this particular role.
Hear about it first! Get job alerts by email. Log in to your Candidate Home Account today! If you don't have an account, you can create one.
It is hereby reaffirmed that it is the policy of American Electric Power (AEP) to provide Equal Employment Opportunity in all aspects of the employer‐employee relationship including recruiting, hiring, upgrading and promotion, conditions and privileges of employment, company sponsored training programs, educational assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, layoffs and termination of employment to all employees and applicants without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. When required by law, we must record certain information to be made part of an Affirmative Action Plan. Applicants for employment may also be invited to participate in the Affirmative Action Program by self-identifying their Race or Ethnic Identity.